Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Best Intentions: Musings on dealing with people offering alternative treatments.

Earlier I wrote a blog about how Bob and I felt about Alternative treatments. I needed to hash it out and write it down so that when we were confronted with those who are passionate about whatever miracle cure they have found we could make our statement, clearly concisely and well thought out and then they would understand and go their way.

Recently I had the opportunity to execute this plan. It didn't go well. The petitioner continued to push and finally I caved and allowed the information to be mailed to me. A week went by and I was called and asked when I wanted to schedule a phone or face to face consultation. I refused again, stated our beliefs and reminded this dear passionate person that I had expected the info in the mail.

A week later I received said material, scanned it and our minds were not changed. We have encountered some of the proscribed items and found absolutely no benefit whatsoever. Maybe it works for someone else but truly we tried and it was nothing... So I filed it away, not quite ready to dispose of it and hoping that was the end of it.

A week later I received a phone call. "Did I get it?' they asked. Yes, I replied. Maybe after a little chit chat the topic will end. "Did I read it?" Uhm... I scanned it. "What did you think?" It was pretty much what I thought it was and we don't think it will benefit us.

I was trying, really but there appeared to be no way to get off this merrygoround. So I resorted to blunt - I'm really sorry that you have put so much effort into this but I have been trying to get you to see that we are not open to this. We have our reasons and I only agreed to receive the info in the mail because you insisted.

Instantly, they saw the light. Unfortunately they were embarrassed. It was what I was trying to avoid. I felt really bad. I don't want to hurt anyone, but they weren't listening. I appreciate everything they were trying to do. I'm glad they are finding relief with their system, but everybody has their own journey to take and even some boundaries that they won't cross and if that can't be respected, someone is going to get hurt.

There is so much stuff out there. We do have to be careful and responsible. Maybe Bob and I will miss something that could help. But I would rather ere on the side of missing it than becoming involved in something that would not honor my Lord and King. I know who is in charge of our lives and I will rely on Him to guide us in this journey and I know that He will make sure that we have everything that He has prepared for us because we are His willing servants and we will glorify Him in abundance and in need.It is not our decision if Bob gets well, it is God's decision, filtered through his purposes and His Devine Will.

No comments:

Post a Comment